Relevant Division Pages
Adopted Model Codes
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code for One-Two Family Dwellings
- 2012 International Fire Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (NOTE: The 2012 IECC was originally adopted in October 2016, along with the other codes listed on this web page, and went into effect on January 1, 2017. Since that time, Ordinance No. 17-10892 was adopted on July 24, 2017 and is effective immediately. That ordinance repealed the 2012 IECC and adopted the 2009 IECC with local code amendments.)
To order code books for the International Codes go to www.iccsafe.org
- 2011 National Electrical Code (to order code book go to www.nfpa.org)
- 2012 Uniform Mechanical Code
- 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code
To order code books for the Uniform codes go to www.iapmo.org
- 2010 ADA Standards (ADA Requirements Overview, 2010 ADA - 5 Major Changes)
Please refer to Chapter 8 and Chapter 14 of the Salina Municipal Code for the official version of the local code amendments.
Mission: to encourage and promote safe, quality development and construction in the City of Salina.
Building Services is responsible for:
- The administration and enforcement of the adopted building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, property maintenance, and other related adopted codes.
- Issuing permits for buildings, plumbing, electrical and mechanical work, demolition, mobile homes, changes of occupancy, signs, home occupation certificates and swimming pools.
- Reviewing plans for proposed buildings, additions and building alterations to verify zoning compliance, building and fire code compliance and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Inspecting construction projects, including private water and sewer services, as well as plumbing, mechanical and electrical limited service and repair work to confirm code compliance.
- Enforcing the city’s property maintenance code as it relates to the condition of the buildings on a property, including identifying and abating dilapidated or dangerous buildings.
- Coordinating the plan review activities of all of the departments involved in the building permit process
Mission: provides services to enhance the quality of life in Salina's neighborhoods and help make Salina an attractive place to visit, work, live and invest.
Neighborhood Services is responsible for:
- Code enforcement of City ordinances regarding nuisances, zoning and building code issues related to outdoor property use and maintenance. Citizen reports are confidential.
- Neighborhood outreach for problem-solving which requires coordination with other city departments, community agencies and neighborhood groups to develop goals, strategies and action plans for neighborhood clean-up and revitalization.