ORDINANCE NUMBER 22-11107
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate (referred to as the “Property”):
A portion of the North Half of the Southwest Quarter of Section 35, Township 14 South, Range 3 West of the Sixth Principal Meridian, County of Saline, State of Kansas, being described by as follows:
Commencing at the center corner of said Section 35: thence N 89°45'10" W along the North line of said North Half, a distance of 327.92 feet to the intersection of said North line and the Centerline of Dry Creek, said point also being the point of beginning; thence S 01°56'22" E on said Centerline, a distance of 146.36 feet; thence S 30°47'12" W continuing on said Centerline, a distance of 413.69 feet; thence S 00°56'52" W continuing on said Centerline; a distance of 136.71 feet; thence S 10°54'41" E continuing on said Centerline, a distance of 406.12 feet; thence S 10°43'00" W continuing on said Centerline, a distance of 240.29 feet to the intersection of said Centerline and the North line of Wheatridge Addition to the City of Salina; thence N 89°38'06" W on said North line, a distance of 398.86 feet; thence N 00°19'09" E continuing on said North line, a distance of 250.32 feet; thence N 89°37'09" W continuing on said North line and it prolongation, a distance of 1718.33 feet to the intersection of said North line’s prolongation and the West right-of-way line of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, said railroad right-of-way disclaimed by Deed Book 1232, Pages 959-961 in the Office of the Register of Deeds of Saline County; thence N 00°06'43" W on said west right-of-way line, a distance of 1018.85 feet to the intersection of said west right-of-way line and the North line of said North half; thence S 89°45'10" E on said North line, a distance of 2294.62 feet to the point of beginning.
Said Tract contains 53.22 acres, more or less.
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The location and physical attributes of the Property and the availability of public utilities make it suitable for residential development with only internal public improvements;
- The Property lies within a Primary Service Area on the Urban Services Area map meaning that City utilities are already in place or that the City of Salina has long term plans or expectations to extend its services or its boundary in this direction. In this case the City has already extended utilities ( water and sanitary sewer) to this area;
- Rezoning of the Property for residential development could be viewed as contiguous, infill development of property that is already surrounded by built up areas of the city;
- The Property is adjacent to existing R-2 zoning on the south and a change to R-2 zoning would be compatible with the existing zoning pattern on the north side of Schilling Road to the south of the proposed development; and
- The requested zoning change and proposed residential density would be consistent with the city’s Comprehensive Plan which identifies the Property as suitable for Suburban Residential-type development.
Section 2. AMENDMENT. DISTRICT "R-2", MULTIPLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT "R-2", MULTIPLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances in conflict herewith as they relate to the Property are hereby repealed.
Section 4. Effective date; publication summary. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 22-11107 Summary
On August 22, 2022 the City of Salina, Kansas, passed Ordinance No. 22-11107. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of property located on the east side of Centennial Road, north of Schilling Road as legally described in the ordinance to R-2 (Multiple Family Residential) and outlines the findings of the City Commission in support of the change in zoning. A complete copy of the ordinance is available at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the city clerk, 300 W. Ash Street, free of charge. This summary is certified by the city attorney.
Introduced: April 4, 2022
Passed: August 22, 2022
Trent W. Davis, M.D., Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk