Frequently Asked Questions-Consumers

  • Q: Are fireworks legal in Salina?

    A: Yes. Individuals may sell, possess and shoot off fireworks within the city limits, but with strict limitations. 

  • Q: What type of fireworks are allowed?

    A: Only the personal use of small firework devices classified as “consumer fireworks” by the U.S. Department of Transportation are allowed. M-80 fire crackers, cherry bombs, bottle rockets and sky lanterns are prohibited in Salina. 

  • Q: What dates and times can fireworks be ignited/discharged?

    A: July 3 and July 4, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.

  • Q: What are the possible consequences for igniting/discharging fireworks outside of these dates and times?

    A: Fireworks may be confiscated, and citations (misdemeanor, class c violation) with fines up to $500 may be issued.

  • Q: Where is it illegal to ignite/discharge fireworks?

    • While on streets, sidewalks, parks and other public property

    • While on private property without the express written consent of the property owner
    • Into, under, or from a car or vehicle, whether moving or standing still
    • Within 100 feet of any hospital, sanitarium, nursing home, or assisted living facility
    • Within 300 feet of any fireworks stand
    • Fireworks may not be thrown at people, bicycles, vehicles or buildings
    • Fireworks may not impact another property, either directly or from residue or litter
  • Q: Who may not buy or use fireworks?

    A: It is unlawful for a minor (under 18 years of age) to possess and use fireworks unless under the direct supervision of an adult.

  • Q: How do I make a fireworks complaint?

    A:  Call the Salina Police Department's non-emergency line at (785) 826-7210.

  • Q: What will happen after a complaint is made?

    A: Police officers enforcing the fireworks ordinance will respond to the complaint.

  • Q: Are permits required for large public fireworks displays?

    A: Yes, but only after a special permit is acquired from the City of Salina. 

Frequently Asked Questions-Firework Stands

  • Q: When are firework stands allowed to sell fireworks?

    A: It is legal for fireworks stands to sell consumer fireworks from June 27 through July 4, though stands can be set up starting June 17. Stands may be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. during that week. Fireworks stands are only allowed on large commercial lots as approved by the City of Salina.

  • Q: How can I tell if fireworks are legal consumer fireworks?

    A: The firework will be identified by one or a combination of the following:
    • UN0336 or UN0337
    • Consumer Fireworks 1.4G
    • DOT Class C Consumer Fireworks 1.4G UN0336
    • Consumer Fireworks UN0336
    • Consumer Fireworks UN0337
    • “Safe and Sane” seal from the California State Fire Marshal 
  • Q: What if my fireworks do not have the identification, or is identified with other wording?

    A: The fireworks cannot legally be sold.

  • Q: Does the City of Salina inspect firework stands?

    A: Yes. Firework stands must pass an inspection by the Salina Fire Department before they are able to sell fireworks.

  • Q: Is a permit needed to sell fireworks in Salina?

    A: Yes. A sales license must be obtained from the City of Salina Building Services Division. The City of Salina permit is to be posted in a visible location.

  • Q: Can fireworks be sold out of my home, or from a vehicle or trailer?

    A: No. Fireworks may only be sold with a permit and in a commercially zoned area.