ORDINANCE NUMBER 21-11061
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
Lots 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 in Block 1 and Lots 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 in Block 2 of the Marydale Addition and Lots 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, Block 1 in the Replat of part of Marydale Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas.
The Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
2.The existing Saline County Law Enforcement Center is overcrowded and is in a landlocked location where expansion is not feasible.
3.The western portion of the Marydale Addition has remained vacant and undeveloped under the existing I-3 zoning since 1973.
4.The existing I-3 zoning on this 18 acre site does not reflect its intended ownership and use. P-[PF] zoning is more suitable for large governmental facilities.
5.The subject property is adjacent to an arterial street (Pacific Avenue) and is surrounded by industrial-type development on three sides and is buffered by railroad tracks on the south. The requested zoning change from I-3 to PDD-P(PF) would not adversely affect the surrounding neighborhood or harm the value or use of the neighboring properties because there are no residential uses in the vicinity and the list of uses is more restrictive in the Public Use district than under the existing I-3 zoning classification.
6.Needed utilities and drainage facilities, and adequate public street access are in place to serve the proposed detention facility.
7.The location of this site is consistent with the locational preferences for large government facilities in the Comprehensive Plan and amending the future land use map to show this as a future Public / Semi-Public land use area is justified in this case due to changing conditions in the community and the lack of interest in developing this property for industrial purposes.
Section 2. Amendment.
- DISTRICT PLANNED DEVELOPMENT P-[PF] (Public Use – Public Facilities). The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the property as part of DISTRICT P-[PF] PLANNED DEVELOPMENT.
Section 3. Conditions of Approval. Use of the Property shall be subject to all of the conditions, restrictions, and limitations applicable to planned development districts under Ordinance 8526, as amended and as codified in Chapter 42 of the Salina Code. Development of the Property shall be subject to and substantially conform to (a) the development plan approved by the planning commission, incorporated as part of this ordinance, and on file with the zoning administrator and/or city clerk and (b) the following conditions:
- Zoning district regulations.Development and use of the property shall be limited to the uses permitted in the P-[PF] (Public Use – Public Facilities) district and shall be subject to the bulk regulations, use limitations and sign regulations applicable to the P-[PF] (Public Use – Public Facilities) district, except as enumerated in sub-point 2 below.
- Variations and modifications.Pursuant to Salina Code Sec. 42-403(a)(12), otherwise applicable district regulations shall be varied or modified as follows: None
- Additional conditions.Development and use of the Property shall be subject to the following additional conditions:
- Development and use of the property site shall be limited to and shall be subject to all bulk regulations, use limitations and sign regulations applicable to the P (Public Use) district.
- Woodland Avenue, including the hammerhead turnaround at its east terminus, shall be designed and built to City public street standards. Dead End and No Through traffic signs shall be posted at the North Front Street intersection.
- The City Engineer shall approved plans and specifications for the Woodland Avenue extension and the proposed storm water collection system, including the storm water detention pond prior to issuance of a building permit
- The Director of Utilities shall approve plans and specifications for any public water and sewer line extensions prior to issuance of a building permit. Public utility easements shall be dedicated by separate instrument for all public water lines, sanitary sewer lines and fire hydrant locations.
- A detailed planting plan and irrigation plan shall be submitted and approved prior to issuance of a building permit. Tree and plant varieties shall be from the City’s Recommended Tree List and Xeriscaping Plant List.
- The applicant shall submit a site lighting plan confirming that no light shall spill onto adjacent properties and shall submit cut sheets for exterior lighting fixtures for review prior to issuance of a building permit.
- Development of the site shall be completed in substantial conformance with the approved site development plan, landscape plan and building elevation drawings which are hereby incorporated by reference.
- An all-weather emergency access road and an operational water system must be in place prior to beginning vertical construction of the jail facility.
- A building permit for the Saline County Law Enforcement Center shall be obtained within 18 months of final development plan approval.
Section 4. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 5. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 20-11061 Summary
On May 3, 2021, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 21-11061. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of an 18 acre tract of land on the south side of East Pacific Avenue east of North Front Street which is the planned site of a new Saline County Jail from I-3 (Heavy Industrial) to PDD P[PF] (Planned Development Public Use – Public Facilities District. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: April 26, 2021
Passed: May 3, 2021
Melissa Rose Hodges, Mayor
JoVonna D. Rutherford, City Clerk