ORDINANCE NUMBER 20-11030
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
The former Lower Elementary School site which is legally described as - Lots 7- 19 Alternating on Republic Avenue & Lots 8- 20 Alternating on Beloit Avenue, in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University an Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County Kansas, plus a vacated east-west alley (the “Property” or “Development”), including:
Phase 1 Development Site- Lots 7- 13 Alternating on Republic Avenue & Lots 8- 14 Alternating on Beloit Avenue in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University an Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County Kansas
Phase 2 Development Site - Lots 15- 19 Alternating on Republic Avenue & Lots 16- 20 Alternating on Beloit Avenue in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University an Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County Kansas.
The Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The former Lowell School building is a historic resource and redevelopment of the building is preferable to vacancy and deterioration or demolition. Redevelopment into housing would be an adaptive reuse of an existing historic building;
- The applicant’s plan provides additional housing units in an infill location;
- The current R-1 zoning inhibits redevelopment of the existing building and Phase I Development Site;
- The proposed Phase I Development Site conforms with R-2 density limitations;
- Redevelopment of the property with multi-family dwellings that adaptively reuse an existing building under planned development standards will not adversely affect the surrounding neighborhood or nearby properties;
- Public facilities and services are presently adequate to support the development or will be improved as needed by the developer;
- The development will be accessible from public streets that are adequate to carry the traffic that will be imposed upon them by the proposed development.
- The location of this site is consistent with the locational preferences for multi-family housing identified in the Comprehensive Plan.
Section 2. Amendment.
- DISTRICT PLANNED DEVELOPMENT R-1 (SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL). The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Phase II Development Site as part of DISTRICT R-1 PLANNED DEVELOPMENT.
- DISTRICT PLANNED DEVELOPMENT R-2 (MULTI-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL). The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Phase I Development Site as part of DISTRICT R-2 PLANNED DEVELOPMENT.
Section 3. Conditions of Approval. Use of the Property shall be subject to all of the conditions, restrictions, and limitations applicable to planned development districts under Ordinance 8526, as amended and as codified in Chapter 42 of the Salina Code. Development of the Property shall be subject to and substantially conform to (a) the development plan approved by the planning commission, incorporated as part of this ordinance, and on file with the zoning administrator and/or city clerk and (b) the following conditions:
- Zoning district regulations.Development and use of the Phase I Development Site shall be limited to the uses permitted in the R-2 (Multi-Family Residential) district and shall be subject to the bulk regulations, use limitations and sign regulations applicable to the R-2 (Multi-Family Residential) district, except as enumerated in sub-point 2 below.
Development and use of the Phase II Development Site shall be limited to the uses permitted in the R-1 (Single-Family Residential) district and shall be subject to the bulk regulations, use limitations and sign regulations applicable to the R-1 (Single-Family Residential) district.
- Variations and modifications.Pursuant to Salina Code Sec. 42-403(a)(12), otherwise applicable district regulations shall be varied or modified as follows:
- A fourteen (14) ft. front yard building setback from Beloit Avenue shall be permitted for the existing school building; and
- Additional conditions.Development and use of the Property shall be subject to the following additional conditions:
- Development limitations on this 2.04 acre site shall be as follows:
- Development of the Phase I Development Site shall be limited to redevelopment of the existing school building into multi-family residential apartments containing no more than 15 dwelling units and accessory off-street parking.
- Development of Phase II Development Site shall be limited to single-family dwellings only.
- Development of the Phase I Development Site shall be subject to the density limitations and bulk regulations of the R-2 (Multi-Family Residential) district, except as enumerated in Section 3.2a above.
- Development of the Phase II Development Site shall be subject to the density limitations and bulk regulations of the R-1 (Single-Family Residential) district.
- On site signage shall be limited to one (1) monument sign on Highland Avenue not exceeding 32 square feet and two (2) wall signs per building.
- Off-Street parking shall be constructed as depicted on the attached and incorporated Exhibit A to the following standards:
- At least 30 off-street parking spaces, including handicapped accessible spaces, shall be provided on site and the parking lot shall be designed to have access from Beloit Avenue on the south in addition to Republic Avenue; and
- A buffer of at least ten (10’) feet shall separate the northern edge of the parking lot from the abutting sidewalk along Republic Avenue.
- A final development plan for the Phase I Development Site shall be submitted to and approved by the Zoning Administrator prior to issuance of a building permit. The final site development plan for the Phase I Development Site shall be in substantial conformance with the approved preliminary site development plan. Plans for landscaping, sidewalks, parking lot drainage, signage, site lighting and dumpster enclosures shall be shown on the final site development plan.
- A final development plan for the Phase II Development Site shall be submitted to and approved by the Planning Commission prior to issuance of any building permits.
- Development of the Property shall be completed in substantial conformance with the approved site development plan, landscape plan and associated and building elevation drawings, including exterior building materials, which are hereby incorporated by reference.
Section 4. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 5. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 20-11030 Summary
On August 3, 2020, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 20-11030. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of the 2.04 acre former Lowell Elementary School site at the southeast corner of Highland Avenue and Republic Avenue from R-1 (Single-Family Residential) to PDD R-2 (Planned Development Multi-Family Residential District) for the tract described and identified in the Ordinance as the Phase I Development Site and PDD R-1 (Planned Development Single-Family Residential District) for the tract described and identified in the Ordinance as the Phase II Development Site. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: July 27, 2020
Passed: August 3, 2020
Michael L. Hoppock, Mayor
Cheryl Mermis, Deputy City Clerk
The publication summary set forth above is certified this ____ day of August, 2020.
Greg A. Bengtson, City Attorney