Frequently Asked Questions

What services do you provide?

The Community Relations Division provides the following services:

  • Civil rights consultations for individuals, employers, employees, educational institutions, municipalities, public accommodation, civic groups, tenants, landlords and organizations
  • Assistance filing discrimination complaints
  • Assistance with landlord/tenant concerns
  • Sample forms and information pertaining to civil rights issues
  • Diversity/cultural awareness training
  • Disability sensitivity training
  • Training courses that provide up-to-date information on the Fair Housing Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and ADA access

Are there charges or fees for your services?

There are no charges or fees.

Who is eligible to file a discrimination complaint?

Any person:

  • Who works or attempted to obtain employment in Salina may request information concerning employment discrimination
  • Who owns, rents, or attempted to secure property in Salina may request information concerning housing discrimination
  • Who lives, works or visits Salina may request information concerning public accommodation discrimination

Can I remain anonymous?

You may remain anonymous if you want information only. In order to file a discrimination complaint, we need information about you and the individuals and organizations that a complaint will be filed against.

Is there a time limit for filing a discrimination complaint?

Employment and public accommodation complaints must be filed within 180 days (about six months) of the last discriminatory incident.

Housing complaints must be filed within 365 days (one year) of the last discriminatory incident. They are dual-filed with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. 

How do I file a complaint?

Complete the Intake Form and make an appointment with our office to complete the intake process.

Do I need an attorney to file a complaint?

You do not need an attorney to file a complaint, or at any point during our investigation. We cannot serve as your attorney at any point in your discrimination complaint process. Our staff must be neutral during the investigation of your complaint.

You have the right to have someone represent you, and an attorney may be helpful, especially if you wish to take your case to court or your case goes to a public hearing. The person or organization you accuse of discrimination is likely to have an attorney represent them.

What happens when a complaint is investigated?

Facts will be gathered by the division, if conciliation cannot be achieved, the case is presented to the Human Relations Commission. They make a determination of whether probable cause exists to move the case to court, or whether no probable cause exists to finalize the case.

How long does the whole process take?

The time it takes to investigate a complaint can vary greatly, depending on the facts of the case and the size of our workload. It may take several months or even longer to investigate your complaint.

Where can I find the most recent Housing Summit Report?

The most recent Housing Summit Report was completed in 2019. You can find the full report online by clicking here.

Contact Information

City-County Building
300 W. Ash St.
Room 101
Salina, KS 67401

(785) 309-5745

Office Hours

8 a.m.-5 p.m.

File a Discrimination Complaint

To file a discrimination complaint, please complete the online form here, or visit the office in during business hours to complete the form in person.

ADA Coordinator

Michelle Martin, Community Relations Supervisor
300 W. Ash, Room 101
(785) 309-5745