Salina Community Relations Division
“Our Mission is to eliminate discrimination and to establish equality and justice for all persons within the City of Salina through civil rights enforcement, advocacy and education.”
The Salina Community Relations Division is a civil rights enforcement agency. The Division investigates complaints from people alleging discrimination in employment (age 40-70), housing or public accommodations because of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, ancestry or disability. In addition, housing also protects people who feel they have been discriminated against because they have children.
Chapter 13, Article II of the Code of the City of Salina, Kansas, as amended, authorizes the Community Relations Division and the Human Relations Commission to receive, investigate and attempt to conciliate complaints alleging discrimination, segregation or separation in employment, public accommodation or housing within the city limits. Chapter 13 also gives authority to investigate cases and, if needed, to subpoena information. The Community Relations Division can also provide training in civil rights laws to reduce discrimination through knowledge of the law.
The goal of the Division is to conduct a thorough and objective investigation and to assume an impartial role throughout the investigation.
- The purpose of the investigation is to:
Obtain all important facts and information from all parties and sources.
- Gather facts and information to demonstrate in the determination whether there is probable cause to assume a violation has or has not occurred.
- Throughout the investigation, attempt to negotiate a conciliation agreement to resolve the issue.
The Community Relations Department provides the following services FREE of charge:
- Consultation on civil rights protections to employers, employees, unions, educational institutions, municipalities, civic groups, tenants, landlords and organizations.
- Assistance in filing discrimination complaints for employment, public accommodations and housing.
- Assistance with landlord/tenant concerns.
- Sample forms and information regarding civil rights issues.
- Training, including:
* Fair Housing
* Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
(Section 504 training)
* Diversity/Cultural Awareness
* Disability Sensitivity
* ADA Access Review
300 W. Ash St.
Salina, KS 67401
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
File a Discrimination Complaint
To file a discrimination complaint, please complete the online form here, or visit the office in during business hours to complete the form in person.
Michelle Martin, Community Relations Supervisor
300 W. Ash, Room 101