Protection Orders

*Filling out the forms*

Protection Orders are issued through the district court. The law allows you to file an order without an attorney. Standard forms are available at the district court clerk's office or your local domestic violence or Victim/Witness Program. The Clerk of the district court is located 300 W. Ash St. in the Saline County-City Building on the 3rd floor. (785-309-5835)

You will be asked to provide specific information on why you are requesting the order including dates, as near as possible, times and locations of recent abusive or stalking incidents. The district court clerk is not required to help you complete the forms. You will be asked to complete the forms with the assistance of the Domestic Violence Association of Central Kansas (DVACK) Court Advocate (office is located on the same floor as the Clerks office).

*Obtaining a Protection Order*

Once the forms are completed, they are taken to the judge who decides if there is enough evidence to issue a protection order. You may be asked to clarify some of the information on your application. If the order is granted, you will receive a copy and the sheriff's department will receive a copy to serve upon the respondent (person you are filing the order against). The order will not be in effect until the respondent has been served. Once the respondent has been served, he or she will attend a scheduled formal hearing.

*Protection Order Hearing*

You are encouraged to appear at the hearing. At this time, the respondent will have the opportunity to show why the order should not remain in effect. If you believe this will happen, you may want to seek the assistance of an attorney.

The order will be in effect for one year. At the end of the year, if you still feel you need protection, you can file for another order.

Q: Is there a cost involved in obtaining a protection order?

A: There is no initial filing fee or cost for serving the order.