The department has two K-9 Units that are available to assist patrol officers around the clock. The units are allowed 16 hours per month for maintenance training to ensure the K-9's proficiency, and they are trained to do the following:
- Located and indicate six illegal drug odors
- Search buildings and other areas for unauthorized persons
- Track criminals and search for lost people
- Search for evidence dropped by criminals in flight
- Apprehend criminals that have committed serious crimes with minimum force
- Protect the handler during a physical altercation
Police K-9's that are properly trained and handled, provide invaluable assistance to field officers in the detection of crime and apprehension of suspects.
Our K-9 Unit obtains yearly certifications. Groups that are interested in a K-9 demonstration should contact Sgt. Kyle Tonniges.