Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How are calls for service prioritized?

A:  All requests for police services are assigned a priority based on the type of call. Calls with potential for injury or property damage and calls that are serious in nature or occurring at that time will be dispatched as soon as possible. Calls that are less urgent or are belated are considered less of a priority and may be held while officers handle emergencies. The day of the week and time of the call will also determine the length of wait as certain days of the week and hours of the day are busier then others.

Q: Can I file a report online?

A: The police department provides an online reporting website for certain types of crimes.  Using the online reporting feature allows you to complete a report at the time of your choosing.  Please follow this link to file an online report.

Q:  Why do the traffic signals sometimes change when emergency vehicles are around?

A:  The City of Salina uses a traffic control system designed to give the right of way to emergency vehicles.  When the signal detects an approaching emergency vehicle, that vehicle is given a green light and traffic in other directions are given red lights.  This increases safety by reducing the chances of a collision and provides a faster response time to the emergency vehicle.  Also, you might notice cameras at some of our intersections.  These are used to control the traffic lights; other intersections have sensor wires in the pavement, and some are still on timers.  These cameras are only used to detect traffic patterns and change the lights; Salina does not use the cameras for photo traffic enforcement.

Q: What are the requirements for seat belts and child safety seats?

A:  Click here for answers.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my police report or accident report?

A: You may obtain a copy of a police or accident report at the Records Unit of the Salina Police Department located at 255 N. 10th. St, or by calling (785) 826-7210. The Records Unit is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Click here for more information.

Q: How do I obtain a protection from abuse/stalking order?

A: Information on obtaining a protection order may be found by clicking here.

Q: What are the current restrictions on a license for a teenage driver?

A: Current information my be found by visiting the Kansas Department of Revenue's site.