History of Gypsum Hill Cemetery
In 1870, a board of directors created the Gypsum Hill Cemetery Association. These were:
D.W. Henderson R. H. Dihle
A. H. Thompson
A. C. Spillman Jacob DeWitt
They purchased 20 acres of land from Robert and Elizabeth Anderson. For the sum of $20/acre the original cemetery property was Blocks A, B, C, D.
(See cemetery map) By the early 1900’s, the cemetery consisted of nearly 80 acres, bounded on the east by Marymount Rd., on the south by Glenn Ave., on the north by Iron Ave, and on the west by Channel Rd.
Since the City of Salina was started in 1858, the earlier burials were in different cemeteries around the city. As Salina grew the bodies were then moved to Gypsum Hill Cemetery. In 1860, the founders of Salina; Phillips, Muir, and Campbell along with Hugh Morrison, laid out a cemetery along the south side of what is now South St. from 9th to Phillips Ave. On the southwest corner of Ohio and East Cloud, Charles Houltzman started a small cemetery.
In the late 1920’s, the north/east part of the cemetery was sold to the Catholic Church and became Mt. Calvary Cemetery. Leaving approximately 60 acres to the present day Gypsum Hill Cemetery.
Hillcrest Mausoleum was built in the late 1920’s; one of the first occupants was H. D. Lee. Many others were removed from other plots and placed in the mausoleum.
In 1923, the Native Daughters erected a drinking fountain at the north entrance to the cemetery. On the fountain they placed a plaque reading:
Erected to the Memory of the Early Pioneers by the Saline County Chapter Native Daughters of Kansas 1923
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) opened its own section just east of the present Hillcrest Mausoleum. (See map)
For a list of occupants that are in the GAR section, click here.