Contractor Education, Testing & Licensing

Continuing Education Opportunities

There are many opportunities available for continuing education, the City of Salina staff will not be aware of all of them.  If you find a particular class (not listed below) and want to be certain it is approved for City of Salina licensed contractors or master/journeyman skilled trades, check with the building official before submitting your registration and money. The qualified individual, as declared on a Class A, B, C, D building contractor license, is required to obtain six hours per year (18 hours over a 3 year licensing cycle) of continuing education, half of which must be code education (IBC, IRC, IFC, NEC, UPC, UMC).

If you are a licensed skilled tradesman (master or journeyman) the requirement is basically the same; six hours per year, (18 hours over the 3 year licensing cycle), half of which are required to be code classes in the trade that you practice and are licensed.

To receive notifications about continuing education classes, you must sign up for the mailing list for Contractor Continuing Education. We will use this email notification system to inform you about classes that the City will present or sponsor.

Sources for Continuing Education

Click here for additional sources for continuing education and other general information about contractor education  

Heart of America Chapter of the ICC - This organization occasionally presents or sponsors continuing education for contractors - Please visit their website for further information,

Contractor Licensing requirements can be found in the Salina Municipal Code. There have been several amendments to the contractor licensing ordinance since its original adoption in May 2007.  To view the current sections of the code dealing with contractor licensing, click Salina Municipal Code.  Contractor licensing requirements are located in Chapter 8, beginning with Sections 8-171.  

General Contractor's Permit Responsibilities

Residential All-Roughs Policy - Oct. 2014 

Contractor Licensing Grid (Summary of Building and Specialty Contractor Licensing Requirements and Test Information)

Licensed Contractors - Updated Monthly  

To find out if a particular contractor is licensed or if a license is in good standing, please contact the City Clerk's office at 785-309-5735.

Testing Information and Applications

To assist you in deciding which test to take, read this first:

Contractor testing information (Prometric, ICC, & Kansas IAPMO/NITC) 

Applications forms for licensing of building contractors, plumbing, mechanical, electrical contractors & Craftsman. Please submit your licensing application to the City Clerk's Office, 300 W. Ash, Room 206.  All license applications are subject to review by the building official.